Young person’s programme
YPP volunteers are allocated to the wards, where they help out with the evening meal, providing assistance and encouragement for our frailer patients. YPP volunteers can engage with patients who are lonely, isolated or anxious with the opportunity to communicate. This can take the form of:
- A conversation
- An activity (such as a game or puzzle)
- A book from our patient library
These interactions are simple but can make a great difference to patients, to whom the day in hospital can seem long and dreary. A listening ear, a friendly smile and a kind word are sometimes the things that matter most.
If you have an interest in investigating a career in the NHS, you can gain valuable insight into life on the wards. The programme can help you to develop your communication skills and confidence as you move through the 16 week programme. Volunteering in a clinical environment is also frequently seen as beneficial by Higher Education establishments.
- The volunteering duty is two hours; 16.30-18.30, Monday-Friday. Successful applicants will be allocated a slot on a weekday. Volunteers will be expected to volunteer for a 15 week period.
- YPP volunteers are required to complete a minimum of 30 hours or attend for a minimum of 15 weeks, unless illness or other agreed absence prevents attendance.
- All volunteers are supported throughout the programme by Volunteer staff and staff on the wards.
- At the end of the programme there will be a celebration evening where volunteers will be presented with 30 hour badges, certificates and a reference. There will be opportunities for continued volunteering for graduates of the programme and these will be outlined at this event.
Comments from Young Volunteers (after 30 hours of volunteering):
“There will be some aspects that will surprise you but you learn a lot and I feel it is a very valuable experience”
“It is very rewarding, you meet a great bunch of people volunteering. It can be challenging, so pay attention in the induction!”
YPP for 2017
Autumn cohort: Starts Monday 4 September, completes 15 December with mandatory induction on Wednesday 30 August 2017.
APPLICATIONS OPEN: Monday 1 May and closes Wednesday 31 May 2017.
Please note: we are always oversubscribed for this programme.
Please note the application dates as no applications can be accepted after the deadline of Wednesday 31 May 2017.
Could you help?
Our volunteers make a real difference to patients and staff.
Exciting volunteering roles available now.